How to Inspect or Request a Copy of Your Medical Records
Patients or their legal representative may inspect or obtain copies of their St. Vincent's Medical Center medical records or have copies sent elsewhere by following these instructions:
- Complete an Authorization for Disclosure of Protected Health Information (PDF) or Authorization for Disclosure of Protected Health Information (Spanish-PDF) to disclose records to anyone, including the patient. A handwritten note from the patient will not suffice for authorization to disclose records.
- Please Print
- Indicate dates of treatment, especially if you've had multiple episodes of care.
- Indicate what type of records you need.
- If you aren't sure what information you need, please give us a call at (203) 576-5193.
- Phone requests for information will not be accepted.
- Radiology images (films) are not part of your medical record. (i.e., your records contain reports of interpretations of such images). Contact the Radiology Department to obtain films. (203) 576-5070
- Your medical record does not contain your Billing Statements. The Financial & Insurance Information section of this website contains instructions on how to obtain billing data.
Cost for Copies
If you are requesting copies for your own personal use, you will be notified of charges ($.65 per page, plus shipping, in accordance with CT regulations) and will be billed prior to shipping. Our copying service will notify you of any such charges. No cash will be accepted for payment of copies. There will be no charge for copies going directly to another medical facility or treating physician for continuing care.
Turn-Around Time for Request for Records
Our average turnaround time for a request for personal use is five days, depending upon the availability of the medical record. Thank you for your patience.
Where to Send Your Request
Once the authorization has been completed, we ask that you please bring your Authorization for Disclosure of Protected Health Information form along with your photo ID to the Medical Center:
Medical Records Department
Main Floor of the Medical Center
8:00am–5:00pm (except Holidays)
Or you can mail the form to:
St. Vincent's Medical Center Medical Records Department
2800 Main Street