Wound Care Services
The Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO) chambers at St. Vincent’s Wound Healing Center can be described as expansive, comfortable, clear-sided enclosures within which patients relax for sessions lasting about two hours (watching television, listening to music or just catching up on some needed rest). During the session, the patient is exposed to increased, but entirely safe, levels of oxygen.
Typical conditions that can benefit from HBO treatments at St. Vincent’s include the following:
- Slow-healing or non-healing wounds developed by diabetic person
- A wound or sore which shows no improvement after adequate circulation is restored
Certain bone infections
- Damage due to radiation therapy
- A skin graft that has a questionable blood supply
Our Patient Process:
- Your primary physician or specialist is generally the one to refer you to us; however you may make an appointment yourself using the Center’s contact information provided. Our treatment team will evaluate your wound and review your health and medical history. Tests for blood flow, infection, etc., may be needed.
- Together with your physician, we will develop a treatment plan based on our assessment of your specific needs. If HBO is indicated, it will require daily visits to the Center for a course of 30 treatments or more.
- Your progress in meticulously documented and treatment is adjusted as necessary.
- Constant communication with your physician is maintained, and you will continue under his or her care for any related conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure. Your follow-up care after your wound is healed will be with your doctor.
To find a St. Vincent’s physician who can discuss your health concerns or those of a loved one, please click on our FIND A DOCTOR tool and search by specialty, practice, location or keyword. We’re here to help you locate the medical expert you need.
To speak with a St. Vincent's Care Line representative, call (877) 255-7847
To speak with somone at the front desk of the Medical Center, please call (203) 576-6000
Click in for St. Vincent's Medical Center DIRECTIONS | MAPS | PARKING information