An essential component to any workplace safety program is substance abuse testing.
Employers of all disciplines require their employees to successfully pass a substance abuse test prior to beginning employment. Additionally, several occupations are required to undergo state and federal drug and alcohol testing requirements in order to meet public safety standards.
WorkCare provides complete substance abuse testing services for drugs as well as for alcohol. Our staff are knowledgeable in the collection and processing of specimens in order to insure test integrity. The WorkCare physician Medical Review Officer reviews all test results for accuracy prior to reporting to the client. In order to become a certified Medical Review Officer, a physician must undergo extensive training and pass a rigorous examination.
Substance abuse testing is generally performed on the following basis:
- Random (for safety sensitive jobs)
- Reasonable Suspicion
- Post Accident /Post Injury (as applicable)
- Rehabilitation/Return to Duty
- Department of Transportation Mandated Drug Testing
Drivers in the following circumstances may be required to submit to mandatory drug testing as per federal or state guidelines:
- Drivers of commercial vehicles If the vehicle is registered at over 26,000 pounds
- Drivers of commercial vehicles which carry hazardous substances requiring a placard.
- Drivers of School Transportation Vehicles
- Employees under FAA or DOT Contracts
- Maritime employees, aircraft maintenance workers, etc
- Drivers of vehicles which carry 15 or more passengers
WorkCare’s Quality Assurance Program incorporates many precautions to help insure test result intergrity. These precautions are in compliance with Federally- mandated (SAMHSA) guidelines.
- Test donor identification is positively verified.
- The restroom facility does not have access to free running water.
- Dye is placed in the toilet water.
- A specimen chain of control procedure is followed at all times
- Specimens are tested only by approved, certified laboratories.
Breath Alcohol Testing
WorkCare features experienced, certified Breath Alcohol Technicians to perform breath alcohol screening in compliance with Department of Transportation requirements. Our Intoxilyzer test equipment is DOT-approved and is subjected to regular calibration procedures to ensure test accuracy.
To find a St. Vincent’s physician who can discuss your health concerns or those of a loved one, please click on our FIND A DOCTOR tool and search by specialty, practice, location or keyword. We’re here to help you locate the medical expert you need.
To speak with a St. Vincent's Care Line representative, call (877) 255-7847
To speak with someone at the front desk of the Medical Center, please call (203) 576-6000
Click in for St. Vincent's Medical Center DIRECTIONS | MAPS | PARKING information