Choosing a Pediatrician
Selecting a pediatrician is an important part of prenatal care. Finding someone you want to trust with your child is very important. You will be in close communication with this person for many years to come.
A recommendation from a friend or relative is your best reference. Call the pediatrician's office during your last trimester of pregnancy and make an appointment for an interview with him/her. Check out and compare a few in your area.
Find out if they have privileges at the hospitals of your choice.
Listed below are a few ideas to ask and look for when going for your visit. Record your answers and write down other questions you may have and bring them with you.
Questions to ask a potential pediatrician
- When you called for an appointment, was the receptionist kind, understanding and accommodating?
- When you enter the office, is it clean and neat?
- Do the children seem to mind being there?
- How is the attitude of the workers?
- Once you get in to see the doctor, how long of a wait was there? If it was long, was the reason for the delay explained?
- Did the doctor seem helpful?
- Was he/she interested in your needs or was he/she preoccupied?
- Tell him what is important to you:
- breastfeeding vs bottle-feeding
- sleeping accommodations
- What is the office policy regarding phone calls?
- Do they evening or weekend hours?
- If it is a one-doctor practice, who covers for him, and interview that doctor if feasible.
These are just a few ideas. Most pediatricians’ offices are very accustomed to these interviews. Just bear in mind that emergencies can come up and be understanding if changes have to be made. You will appreciate the same professional care if the need ever arises in your family.
To find a St. Vincent’s physician who can discuss your health concerns or those of a loved one, please click on our FIND A DOCTOR tool and search by specialty, practice, location or keyword. We’re here to help you locate the medical expert you need.
To speak with a St. Vincent's Care Line representative, call (877) 255-7847
To speak with somone at the front desk of the Medical Center, please call (203) 576-6000
Click in for St. Vincent's Medical Center DIRECTIONS | MAPS | PARKING information