Vascular and endovascular surgeons at St. Vincent’s address diseases of the vascular and lymphatic system, which includes arteries and veins. These can be managed by medical therapy, minimally-invasive catheter procedures and surgical reconstruction. The specialty evolved from general and cardiac surgery.
St. Vincent’s vascular surgeons perform a full range of vascular and endovascular procedures and are trained in the diagnosis and management of diseases affecting all parts of the vascular system except that of the heart and brain.
Cardiothoracic surgeons manage surgical disease of the heart and its vessels while neurosurgeons manage surgical disease of the vessels in the brain.
There is now considerable emphasis on minimally invasive surgical alternatives. At St. Vincent’s, vascular and endovascular surgeons collaborate with interventional cardiologists and radiologists to achieve the best outcomes for patients. St. Vincent’s has entered a new era in vascular and endovascular procedures performed in the Elizabeth M. Pfriem Hybrid Operating Room and in state-of-the-art operating suites. These new facilities and technologies are transforming the treatment of vascular problems, offering patients quicker recoveries, greater comfort and safe outcomes.
Procedures performed include:
- Endovascular or open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms and thoracoabdominal aneurysms include stent grafts
- Endovascular and open surgical reconstructions for deep vein occlusions
- Balloon angioplasty and stenting in all vascular areas
- Carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery stenting
- Bypass surgery and endovascular therapy for peripheral artery disease and limb gangrene
- Endovascular and open surgical treatment for peripheral artery aneurysms
- Endovascular laser therapy treatment, radiofrequency ablation for varicose veins and venous ulcers
- Hemodialysis access
- Treatment of vascular malformations, lymphedema, median arcuate ligament and nutcracker syndromes and chylous effusions
St. Vincent's Medicial Center: Surgical expertise when you need it most.
To find a St. Vincent's physician who can discuss your health concerns or those of a loved one, please click on our FIND A DOCTOR tool and search by specialty, practice, location or keyword. We're here to help you locate the medical expert you need.