Permanent Pacemaker - Patient Guidelines
The surgical bandage should be removed 48 hours after the pacemaker has been placed. There may be strips across the incision. These strips will peel off gradually. They are present initially after surgery to reinforce healing, however, they must be removed after one week.
Please shower once the 48 hours are up, using a mild soap, pat the incision dry. Do not rub the incision or place special creams on the area. Keep it clean and dry.
Do not lift, push or pull more than 10 pounds. Avoid reaching overhead to get items off of shelves. Have someone else vacuum, carry the laundry and lift groceries.
If your chest wound is red, painful, hot, swollen or drains (especially pus), tell your doctor at once.
If your temperature goes to 101 or higher, take two Tylenol and call your surgeon at once.
- Make an appointment to see your surgeon one week from the date of surgery. You will also need to follow up with your cardiologist who will be regularly monitoring your pacemaker device from here on out.
- Avoid putting pressure on the pacemaker site.
- Carry the pacemaker identification card from the manufacturer at all times.
- Keep cell phones at least six inches from the pacemaker generator.
- Scanning wands at the airport must be kept 12 inches away from the pacemaker generator.
- Anti-theft devices in stores or banks, it is okay to walk through the upright posts, but do not stop and lean against the posts.
- Avoid electromagnetic fields, since they can affect or damage your pacemaker.
- Avoid large stereo speakers, chain saws, and large engines.
- Tell all your doctors and dentists that you have a pacemaker.
- Refer to your pacemaker manufacturer's guide for further safety details
St. Vincent's Medicial Center: Surgical expertise when you need it most.
To find a St. Vincent’s physician who can discuss your health concerns or those of a loved one, please click on our FIND A DOCTOR tool and search by specialty, practice, location or keyword. We’re here to help you locate the medical expert you need.
To speak with a St. Vincent's Care Line representative, call (877) 255-7847
To speak with somone at the front desk of the Medical Center, please call (203) 576-6000
Click in for St. Vincent's Medical Center DIRECTIONS | MAPS | PARKING information