Diabetes - Signs, Symptoms and Risk Factors
The signs and symptoms of diabetes
are similar for both diabetes type 1 and diabetes type 2. They include:
- Being very thirsty (polydypsia)
- Frequent urination (polyuria)
- Increased hunger (polyphagia)
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Blurry vision
- Irritability or “crankiness”
- Tingling or numbness in the extremities (hands/fingers or feet/toes)
- Frequent skin, bladder or gum infections
- Slow-healing wounds
- Extreme, unexplained fatigue
In some cases of diabetes type 2, there are no symptoms, with some individuals going on for some time without realizing they have developed the disease. In fact, diabetes type 2 can come on so gradually, symptoms may not even be noticed at all.
Symptoms of diabetes type 1, however, generally come on more quickly. Regardless of the diabetes type, the signs and symptoms listed above should not be ignored and a physician should be seen once they have made an impression.
Factors adding to the risk of developing diabetes*
- having impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) and/or impaired fasting glucose (IFG)
- being over age 45
- having a family history of diabetes
- being overweight
- not exercising regularly
- testing for low HDL cholesterol or high triglycerides
- having high blood pressure
- belonging to a particular racial and/or ethnic group (e.g., Non-Hispanic African, American, Hispanic/Latino American, Asian American, Pacific Islander, Native American or Native Alaskan)
- Being a woman who had gestational diabetes or gave birth to an infant weighing 9 lbs or more
*According to the American Diabetes Association
Diabetes Care at St. Vincent's Medical Center:
At St. Vincent’s, we understand that the right diabetes care team and hospital resources are essential to help you reach and maintain optimum health as a diabetes patient.
To find a St. Vincent’s physician who can discuss your health concerns or those of a loved one, please click on our FIND A DOCTOR tool and search by specialty, practice, location or keyword. We’re here to help you locate the medical expert you need.
To speak with a St. Vincent's Care Line representative, call (877) 255-7847
To speak with someone at the front desk of the Medical Center, please call (203) 576-6000
Click in for St. Vincent's Medical Center DIRECTIONS | MAPS | PARKING information