St. Vincent’s Parish Nurse Program
St. Vincent’s Parish Nurse Program extends healthcare services through local churches and congregations as part of its commitment to care for the sick and poor in the community. The Parish nurses respond to the needs of individuals by connecting with them through their congregations. The program, also known as Faith Community Nursing, is ecumenical in nature, and is available to all churches, congregations and synagogues in Fairfield County.
In the program, nurse volunteers from area congregations provide health screenings, information and education to all members of their congregations. By working at the parish level, the professional nurse, guided by a respect for the dignity and value of life, fosters the attitude that quality care must include ministering to the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of patients and families, applying a holistic approach to healing. Parish Nurses focus on the whole person to emphasize wellness, disease prevention and spirituality.
Ways Parish Nurses Can Help
- Visiting church members at home, in nursing homes or during hospitalization
- Coordinating health screenings, health fairs and health education programs based on the needs of the congregation
- Initiating referrals for support services to community agencies, physicians and other medical specialists
- Serving as a liaison to community support services
- Providing prayerful presence and comfort during times of need
Parish Nurse Roles
- Parish nurses serve as health counselors, health educators and referral sources to members of their congregations. An alliance is formed between St. Vincent’s Medical Center, the nurse, the parish team and its congregants to try to meet the needs of all people.
- Health Educator: Facilitate informational programs, health screenings and discussion groups to promote general health and wellness.
- Health Counselor: Discuss health concerns as a means of improving wellness.
- Referral Source: Assist in obtaining information and access to community services and resources.
- Health Promoter: Assess the wellness needs of families and groups within the congregation and implement actions to address those needs through the use of volunteers and community resources.
To learn more about becoming a Parish Nurse or about how St. Vincent’s can help you develop a program in your faith community, please call 203-576-5716 or 203-576-5558
Financial Aid and Insurance Assistance
Would you like to speak with one of our financial aid representatives or learn more about St. Vincent's financial assistance programs? Read our frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding bill pay or financing hospital services, call us and make an appointment, or download, print and fill out a financial aid application here.