Did you know...?
- The Medical Center generates approximately 2,834,974 lbs of waste annually and that 652,791 lbs of this waste is recycled, that’s 23%.
- The Medical Center produces approximately 276,789 lbs of cardboard waste annually all of which is recycled.
- The Medical Center produces approximately 91,543 lbs of sharps related waste, all of which once treated is burned and used for energy helping to provide electricity to the Niagara Falls area region.
- The Medical Center produces approximately 224,460 lbs of office paper generated waste, all of which is recycled and used to produce game boards, toilet paper, napkins etc.
- The Medical Center produces approximately 60,000 lbs of plastic, bottles and cans related waste, all of which is recycled.
What is sustainability?
The traditional defintion of sustainablity calls for policies and strategies that meet society's present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
The mission of the Sustainability Council at St. Vincent's Medical Center is to be 100% committed to conserving and protecting our natural environment as well as its natural resources by continuously assessing and implementing opportunities to improve our sustainability practices.
The vision of the Sustainability Council is to lower our enviornmental impact through the use of natural sustainale resources while improving the health and safety of our patients, employees, community and our environment.